Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy New Year!

This post is a bit premature, as it's only 10:35p.m. in my neck of the woods, but I figure since I'm already on my second glass of wine (and feeling it!) I should probably get this post in the books before I lose the hand/eye coordination to efficiently do so.

As I tweeted a bit earlier, 2011 was really good to me (even if my posts here lead you to believe otherwise). I graduated from an amazing law school, studied my butt off for the bar, passed the bar, and accepted a job with one of the top firms in Michigan. I really can't complain... too much. But with that said, I'm expecting 2012 to be even better! So, I decided instead of doing resolutions that I may or may not keep, I would write out a list of things I want from 2012. And because I have no filter, I've decided to share this list, in its entirety, with all of you. Without further ado...

What I want from 2012
1. To use my fear as inspiration to ROCK this new job!
2. To try new things I'm uncomfortable with, just to say I did. Who knows, I may love it!
3. Get down to, and stay at, 180 pounds.
4. Save heartily (but spend frivolously at least once a quarter).
5. Go on a date.
6. Fall in love, even if only for a week. :)
7. Take a trip somewhere I've never been before.
8. Don't be afraid to SHINE!
9. Visit DC, Atlanta, and Chicago --> Nourish my friendships!
10. Do something really nice and unexpected for Mommy.
11. Become familiar with and comfortable navigating downtown.
12. Laugh more, and sweat the small stuff less.
13. Be wholly, unequivocally, undeniably, unapologetically ME!

If I don't get to everything, that's totally ok, but at least it gives me something to strive for.

In the spirit of full disclosure, after reading this blog, I also wrote out a list of everything I could possibly want in a man. Now, clearly no man on this overcrowded, polluted, amazing, beautiful earth is going to have everything on this (extensive) list, but it's nice to really think about what's important to me, what I'm looking for superficially, and what I actually don't need. At midnight I'm going to burn both lists, kind of as a way to get them into the atmosphere. Anyway, I'm not going to recreate the "Man" list for you guys in total here because, crazy as it may seem, I do have some pride, but I will leave you with a few randomly selected excerpts:

2. NICE. To me, to others, to strangers, and to himself.
6. Thinks I'm beautiful, and makes me think so too.
11. Has. A. Job. (with opportunity for advancement)
13. Comes from a good, solid, stable family (who love me!)
21. Unselfish in all things
25. Sexy --> Makes me nervous and gives me butterflies.
28. Engaged in the democratic process.
34. Likes my friends, and vice versa.
40. Faithful

Before I get out of here, I just want to say a really big thank you to everyone who has read this little corner of the internets, commented, left me a facebook message, emailed, texted, stopped me in person, whatever! I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one hiding their crazy from the masses, and I promise to expose more of my crazy (and less of my emo) in the new year. Love y'all!

Happy New Year guys, hope 2012 brings you all you desire!

S.

5 comments:

  1. No Minnesota? I see how it is...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your qualities in a man. I do have one question for you. Have you thought about allowing God to bring you the man HE wants you have? He knows the desires of your heart and how things will ultimately work out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, of course, but I don't think what He wants and what I want are mutually exclusive! I sure hope God wouldn't want me to be with a mean, unemployed, unstable, selfish, unfaithful man. I've had quite enough of that lesson, let me assure you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You already know we can group 2, 4, 7, (and 9) in with me!! I smell a new trip coming! and if we go for a week, I'm sure we could swing #6 ;)
    But, don't get too excited, #11 will NEVER happen lol.
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking more along the lines that GOD will bring you the man for you to include his perfect will. God does not bring us things that will cause problems - only trials to make us strong. When the man from HIM is sent to you, he will already compliment you. He will have a job, be nice to you and treat you as God loved the church, and stable. We as humans are not perfect, but made perfect through him. I am not saying your list is not valid or inappropriate, I just would like for you to consider totally relying on GOD for the man he has for you. In doing so, it is implied that your list will be met or even exceed your expectations.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading comments, and it makes me feel super special that people thought enough of what I wrote to drop a line or two. Thanks for making me smile... :)